Instructors may want to have access to several prior offerings of their Blackboard course or to student submissions for recommendations. In most cases, your most recent course content will be migrated from Blackboard to Canvas. No student data will be included in the migration (e.g., grades, assignments, submissions, or quiz results). This guide specifically addresses content from prior versions of the course, student submissions, and grade center exports.
- If instructors choose to download student data, it must be stored in OneDrive, which is a FERPA-compliant storage area. OneDrive allows each user to store up to 5 terabytes.
- OneDrive should also be used to store course content exports.
- Do not use Course Archive in Blackboard as the content is not in a usable form.
- Blackboard will be unavailable to users after December 1st, 2022.
How To Export Course Content From Blackboard
Exporting Your Course
Exporting your course downloads all of the course content and materials into a .zip file that can be used to import back to Canvas at a later date. This is primarily used to keep your course if you know you or someone may want to use this in the future.
- Login to Blackboard.
- Click Courses.
- Click Current Courses at the top.
- Select the term you wish to visit.
- Select the course you wish to export.
- On the course navigation menu on the left of your courses, scroll down to the Control Panel > click Course Management > click Packages and Utilities.
- Click Export/Archive Course.
- Click Export Course.
- Click the box to select all content.
- Click Submit.
- You will get the following notification: “Success: This action has been queued. An email will be sent when the process is complete.”
- Return to the Export/Archive Course page once the export is complete. You will see the .zip file.
- Right click the link to download the export of the course.
- The .zip file will download to your computer. Do not unzip blackboard archive or export zip files. These files must remain zipped in order to be usable by Canvas.
- Save this file to JH OneDrive.
How To Export Download Student Submissions or Grade Center from Blackboard
You can download assignment submissions to review them offline. Choose to download all or only selected submissions as a single ZIP file. Unzip or expand the file to view the contents. Each submission is saved as a separate file. You can only download assignment submissions; tests, discussion board entries, or other student work.
Bulk download student submissions
- Within your course’s Grade Center, access the assignment column’s menu and select Assignment File Download.
- On the Download Assignment page, select the student submissions to download -OR- select the check box in the header bar to choose all available submissions.
- Select Submit.
- On the next Download Assignment page, select the Download assignments now link. A pop-up window displays instructions for what to do with the file.
- In the pop-up window, select Save File and select OK.
- Browse to the location where you want to download the file and select Save.
- Do not save student data on your computer as this could violate FERPA regulations. Upload the zip file or the individual files to JH OneDrive immediately. Delete the file from your local computer.
How To Export the Grade Center (grades only – does not include student submissions or work)
You can download assignment submissions to review them offline. Choose to download all or only selected submissions as a single ZIP file. Unzip or expand the file to view the contents. Each submission is saved as a separate file.
Download grade center
You can download the full gradebook or select columns from your Blackboard courses. However, items with anonymous grading enabled can’t be selected and won’t be included in the downloaded file.
You can export the file in a comma-delimited (CSV) or tab-delimited (XLS) format. Once you download to your local computer, upload the file immediately to JH OneDrive and delete the file from your local drive.
To Download/Export the Grade Center:
- From the Control Panel select Grade Center, Full Grade Center.
- Click the Work Offline button (far right).
- You can select certain columns, or select the entire grade center.
- After you select, choose Download.
- Upload this file immediately to JH OneDrive; delete the original file from your local computer.